CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

My Aunt

I just found out one of my favorite aunts lost her battle with cancer. I don't have any contact with my family due to several reason and I discovered her death purely by accident. She passed away at the end of October and I just found out two days ago. She was diagnosed in July 2005 with stage 4 cancer and only given 6 months to live. When I was younger she was diagnosed with cervical cancer and it went into remission for 16 years. When they discovered it this time it had spread through her body including her liver. They said they could open her up and try to remove some of it but there was a possibility of it spreading more and of course there was chemo and radiation. She made the decision to go home and live in peace for the rest of her time on earth. I was fortunate that when she was diagnosed to see her and tell her what her being my aunt meant to me and I won't be filled with guilt of never saying those words. The only guilt I feel is not being there at the end but my comfort is not seeing her in the end when the cancer took over her body. My aunt was everything I wanted to be in life, strong and independent. She was married before I was born and divorced, she spent her life in the Army and then went on to the Navy Reserve for awhile. She was also an outstanding nurse in her life and she knew when her body had given up the fight. She protected her nieces and nephews from our parents when we had done wrong and they were on the war path and even we hadn't done wrong and they just didn't get it. I hope in my life I am half of what she was and accomplish just some of what she did. Her last wishes were to be cremated and have her ashes spread over a place she fell in love with in Michigan. I know when the wind blows I will feel her spirit around me and remember days gone by and this aunt of mine who could be the symbol of all women.

2 comments:

Christa said...

I'm glad to see you posting about this. I hope it brings you a sense of comfort. She's smiling at you from above!

Deirdre said...

I am sorry to hear about your aunt.